So it turns out that your XBee based device would work even better as a Bluetooth device… that probably means back to the drawing board, right? Well not anymore! Now you can swap in Bluetooth functionality without a major hardware redesign!
The RN42XV is a small form factor, low power Bluetooth radio module offering plug-in compatibility for the widely used 2 x 10 (2mm) socket typically used for 802.15.4 radio modules. Based on the popular 2 x 10 (2mm) socket footprint often found in embedded applications, the Roving Networks’ RN42XV module provides Bluetooth connectivity in legacy and existing designs that may have been based upon the 802.15.4 standard.
The RN42XV Class 2 Bluetooth module is based on the RN42. This module supports multiple interface protocols, is simple to design in, and is fully certified, making it a complete embedded Bluetooth solution. With its high-performance, on-chip antenna and support for Bluetooth EDR, the RN42 delivers up to a 3 Mbps data rate for distances up to 20 meters.
- Fully certified Bluetooth® version 2.1 module, supports version 2.1 + Enhanced Data Rate (EDR)
- Backwards-compatible with Bluetooth version 2.0, 1.2, and 1.1
- Pin compatible with widely used 2 x 10 2-mm socket typically used for 802.15.4 applications
- Low power: 26 uA sleep, 3 mA connected, 30 mA transmit
- UART (SPP or HCI) and USB (HCI only) data connection interfaces
- Sustained SPP data rates: 240 Kbps (slave), 300 Kbps (master)
- Embedded Bluetooth stack profiles included (requires no host stack): GAP, SDP, RFCOMM, and L2CAP protocols, with SPP, HID and DUN profile support
- Bluetooth SIG certified
- Certifications: FCC, IC, CE
- PCB trace antenna